21 September 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #36

#36: Are You Ready for Some ...

Tonight I watched the season premieres of The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and Castle. Although many people think the television sitcom is dead, I have to say that both BBT and HIMYM prove them wrong. Both shows consistently make me laugh out loud and tonight was no exception.

HIMYM has finally brought together my two favorite characters, Barney and Robin, and not only did we get to see them as a couple but we got to watch Lily try to get them to define their relationship (a losing battle with these two commitment-phobes). And what made the episode genius was that in trying not to define what they had, by the end of the episode both characters were completely involved in a relationship without even realizing it. At this point, do we even care who the mother is anymore? I just want more Barney and Robin.

The Big Bang Theory started its third season with Leonard, Sheldon, Raj and Wolowitz's return from the Arctic and Penny's apparent lust for Leonard which was stoked by his absence. The wonderful thing about this show is that the geek always gets the girl but it always comes out wrong. Ait the end of the episode we're left with Penny and Leonard tangled in bed and feeling thoroughly awkward, so it should be a great season. As Sheldon would say, in emoticon logic, I'm a semi-colon, upper-case "d".

The season premiere of Castle was every bit the procedural with roguish Nathan Fillion playing his part to perfection. Although I was happy to see the fallout from Castle delving into Beckett's past, what I find the most intriguing about this show is Castle's relationship with his teenage daughter. The chemistry and ease that Fillion has with the actress who plays his daughter is amazing to watch and it's my favorite part of the show.

All in all, I was not disappointed by this first outing from some of my returning faves. And both comedies gave me huge laugh out loud moments, which is a great way to end a Monday.

No comments: