20 September 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #35


#35: Glitz and Glamour

Although fall television has been going on for the past few weeks, this week is when some of my perennial favorites, like Grey's Anatomy, premiere. So all this week I'll be blogging about television exclusively (which is a nice respite after my bit of self-indulgence for the past week). And to kick it off, I'll be offering my thoughts on tonight's Primetime Emmys hosted by none other than How I Met Your Mother's Neil Patrick Harris also known as my gay crush. I'll be back later to update my thoughts on the wins and losses but right now, here's my picks for people and shows that need to win:

1. Oustanding Comedy: Honestly, HIMYM deserves this win but since NPH is hosting and also nominated for Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series, I think it's more likely that the win will go to 30 Rock and NPH will get the Supporting Actor nod. It's a trade-off I can live with.

2. Lead Actor in a Comedy - Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory: A dark horse, a long shot ... anyway you say it, it's definitely going to be a hard one but if the Emmy voters were smart (which they aren't), they'd award Jim who had an amazing season as Sheldon.

3. Supporting Actor in a Drama - Michael Emerson from Lost: This one is a long time coming. Michael Emerson has been serving up the chills as creepy Ben Linus for seasons but I think this year of watching the manipulative character lose his mojo to Not Locke, showed amazing vulnerability.

4. Supporting Actress in a Comedy - Kristin Chenoweth from Pushing Daisies: Given how Pushing Daisies was unceremoniously dumped from ABC's line-up, this wonderfully crafted show should be thrown a bone but that aside Kristin Chenoweth is one of the best comedic actresses of our time and as much as I love Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Perkins, Jane Krakowski, and Kristen Wiig, I think Kristin C. should be standing on that stage. All 5 feet of her.

That's it for pre-show thoughts. I'll update later with post-show thoughts.

UPDATE: The Emmy Awards were great last night. Here's my thoughts:


The Outfits: I was in love with how subtly glamorous (almost) everyone looked. The few exceptions were Blake Lively and Leighton Meester. Not that they didn't look gorgeous but when most of the women looked like this, it's hard to say that these two were subtle in their choices.

The Jokes, Gags and Special Moments: As always when there's an award show, there's some things you wish they would have scrapped for time but some of my faves were the dance number featuring America's Best Dance Crew's QuestLove and the Dr. Horrible hi-jack scene. I think Neil did an amazing job. The best thing about him is that you can tell he's just giddy and happy to be there. The "In Memoriam" (for me the mark of a great awards show) was tasteful and they did what the Oscars failed to do, actually show the people in the video. I also thought Ricky Gervais did an amazing job presenting but I have a soft spot for him due to this:



The Awards: Kristin Chenoweth won! Jim Parsons didn't (boo!) but Alec Baldwin was a nice compromise. If Charlie Sheen had won, I'd have thrown a rock at the television. Micheal Emerson won! Some surprises were Bryan Cranston's win for Lead Actor in a Drama Series (Breaking Bad). Surprisingly, NPH did not win for Supporting Actor and How I Met Your Mother did not win for Best Comedy Series (robbed!).

Overall, the television community really came out to represent it's own.

No comments: