13 September 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #27

#27: On the Cusp

Technically, it's Sunday but since I'm just getting home it's still Saturday for me. Today I went to Power to the Peaceful which is essentially a a hippie, love-in in the center of Golden Gate park. Recently, I've realized that I need to expand my social circle. The majority of the people I know in California are either people I knew before moving here or people that I know through work. As a result, all the people I know are students, teachers, artists and activists. Not exactly a bad group of friends to have but for the most part there's not a lot fo diversity amongst them.

By default, this means the men I've dated since moving have been students, teachers, artists and activists. Kind of a pattern. So I've been trying to go to events that I wouldn't usually decide to go to myself. I'm trying to engage people outside of work and school friends. Power to the Peaceful was a cool event because it definitely took me a bit out of my comfort zone. This Friday, I'm going to go to the B.A.D. Girls Roller Derby event. And on Saturday I might check out an improv show. I've realized that if I'm going to stay in the Bay Area, I need to create a group of friends that is separate from work and past friends. I'm on the cusp of making that happen.

No comments: