25 October 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #69

#69: Lay In Bed Mix

The best thing about Sunday is that (if you can) you get to lay in bed all day. Often in movies and television this is depicted as the girl rolling around in her huge bed in gorgeous lingerie or sexy, casual underwear while an enticing soundtrack plays and she contemplates the next act to come. Even though I don't know too much about the rolling around in lingerie part, I can relate to laying in bed and listening to music. When I'm laying in bed, I want to listen to songs that take me from romance to lust to heartbreak and back again, along with a few songs I can sing along to. I created a playlist especially for that purpose and these are my top ten songs from that playlist (in order of how they should be played).


1. "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" - Sarah Maclachan
Sarah Maclachlan hit it out of the park with this one. Equal parts sexy and romantic. It makes you want to pull at your clothes and feel skin against your skin, but not in a skeevy way.

2. "Cannot Even (Break Free)" - The Noisettes
This song is angsty and powerful. The lead singer of the Noisettes has a powerful voice and it's stretched to the limit here.

3. "Again" - Janet Jackson
The ultimate "lay in bed" song. The video features Janet on a bed covered in white with a simple top and a pair of jeans. A belly chain and Gary Dourdan are her only accessories.

4. "Bad Habits" - Maxwell
Although I disagree with the theme of the song, the infectious beat and Maxwell's breathy voice take me to another world.

5. "Beautiful" - Me'shell Ndegéocello
The height of romance. I first heard this song in the film Lost & Delirious and I'll probably always associate it with that movie. The lyrics are touching and the pared down to it's essence music is intoxicating.

6. "Realize" - Colbie Caillat
Simple message, simple melody but complicated emotions. It's a stereotypical dilemma. "If you'd just realize, what I just realized, then we'd be perfect for each other ... if you'd just realize"

7. "Your Body is a Wonderland" - John Mayer
Second only to "Again" when it comes to being a perfect "lay in bed" song. The entire video takes place in a bed. And why get out of bed when someone is discovering your body like it's newly discovered land?

8. "Pavement" - Cassie Steele
Cassie Steele is a young girl with some pretty dark lyrics. This song is full of angst and regret but in a way that's completely cathartic.

9. "Kissing You" - Des'ree
I can't help that every time I hear this song I see Leonardo DiCaprio kissing Claire Danes in my head. But more than that this song epitomizes innocent love and glorifies one of my favorite things: kissing.

10. "Heaven Help" - Lenny Kravitz
My mix ends with this song because it's not only soothing but it's determined and hopeful. When Lenny says, "I'm ready for love", I feel like I can go out and face anything. And who knows what I might find when I make up my mind to find it.

No comments: