14 October 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #59


#59: Happenstance

Today when I was waiting for the bus a woman came up to me and asked me for a cigarette. She looked a bit degenerate but I pulled out my iPod headphones and informed her that I didn't smoke. She then asked me if I had prayed to Jesus Christ and confessed my sins. I told her I hadn't. She asked me if I read the Bible. At this point I was amused. I said no (even though I have). She then told me that she prayed that I would not end in Hell and walked away.

Now aside from the fact that this interaction started with her asking me for a cigarette and that I'm almost certain she lives on the streets, what right does this woman have to judge my spiritual choices? One of the primary problems I have with religion is the judgment. It's not that I don't believe there's a higher power, I just don't believe that because you adhere to that you automatically get the right to speculate on what that higher power would think.

I believe in love. I believe that miracles can happen. I believe Santa Claus makes miracles happen at Christmas. I believe that some things are just coincidence and other things are fated. I believe in love at first sight. And at the end of the day, I believe in treating people how you want to be treated. That's what's going to gt me far in the world.

No comments: