07 September 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #22

#22: On the Eve of this Momentous Event ...

Fall used to be about new clothes, new books and falling leaves. Since moving to California, I've had less money (so no new clothes), there's barely any leaves falling off the trees and since I'm a teacher rather than a student, no new books. But one thing has always remained the same, FALL TELEVISION! Here's what I'm excited for and some things which are going to fall to the wayside.

The CW: Once again, the CW gets points for starting it's new season a week before the other networks. Given that it's slew of new shows is largely derivative and unoriginal, they need the headstart. I'll definitely be tuning into Gossip Girl (Mondays at 9 pm) to see where college brings our cast, and I'm optimistic since creator Josh Schwartz actually anticipated his characters going to college, something most teen shows seem to forget. That being said, other than the draw of the sexy Winchester boys, the CW has pretty much lost me as a viewer. I'm not fired up about the 90210 and Melrose Place reboots and One Tree Hill is pretty lackluster

Next up is FOX: The FOX network is my nemesis. They manage to take the risks that other networks don't by greenlighting interesting shows but they quickly cancel them if they are not break out hits (moment of silence for
even though they've dropped the deadweight of Peyton and Lucas.Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles). So I'll be tuning in to the new show Glee (this Wednesday at 9 pm) and going for old favorites like the Sunday night cartoon block (Simpsons, Family Guy) also Fringe and Bones which are back-to-back on Thursdays. I'll be watching House on a trial basis. At the end of the month on the 25th Joss Whedon's Dollhouse reappears to round out my Friday nights.

CBS returns September 14th with
How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory (8 pm and 9 pm, respectively). Then two weeks later The Amazing Race and Cold Case premiere.

Finally, ABC returns with new episodes the week of the 21st, with new episodes of Castlea book tie-in). I'll be checking out the new comedy
(which also has Modern Family (Wednesdays at 9) which is chock full of stars like Ed O'Neill and Sofia Vergara. Also the J.J. Abrams-helmed Flash Forward will begin right before new episodes of Grey's Anatomy. And then that Sunday Brothers & Sisters returns at 10 pm.

In addition to the return of network television, there's plenty of cable television returning in the
fall. On September 14th, Lincoln Heights returns to ABCFamily and Greek is two episodes into a new season. Sons of Anarchy, a show I fell in love with over this weekend, has its second season premiere tomorrow on FX. Also, Showtime premieres new seasons of Dexter and Californication on the 27th. Californication is planning a huge season three with Hank Moody now ensconced in a new position as a college professor and there are plans for Kathleen Turner, Ed Westwick, Eva Amurri, Embeth Davidtz and Diane Farr (who I love from Roswell and Numb3rs) to guest star.

Other than that, everything is either being ignored or watched on a trial basis. I think I've reached a point where I have enough returning shows and a couple of new shows that I am interested in to fill up my tv schedule. I will try to watch Vampire Diaries since I am a fan of the books that inspired the show but from the previews I've seen there's been a massive Twilight-ization of the novels. And the month of October will see the return of 30 Rock, Ugly Betty (also on probation) and Private Practice, which has a crazy finale to live up to.

No comments: