25 August 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #9


#9: Ain't Nothin' Goin' On ...

But the rent. Currently, I find myself in a precarious position rent-wise. I'm working hard to take out small loan to get me through September because of the way my jobs pay periods are set up. I would take out an advance but then I'd find myself doing the same thing a month from now.

In all honesty, I know I brought some of this on myself but I think this problem is compounded by two things: the configuration of the academic year and California's current financial problems.

To tackle the first one, my school ended in late-June. School resumed mid-August. This gave me approximately 6 weeks of vacation. Not enough time to get another job (at least one that didn't involve working with kids all summer) and enough time to blow some money while on "vacation". So I returned to Oakland somewhat refreshed and extremely broke.

And how does the economy play into this? My school is going through some major changes. Some for the good (new, amazing facility). Others for the worst (no room for financial growth). The new position I interviewed for was cut after the state slashed it's budget and although there are some fringe benefits this year (new computer) there are still expenses that the school won't cover (a $10 hike on monthly transportation pass means $80/month to ride the bus).

Which brings me back to where I am. I need to take out a loan and I need to put in every extra hour I can. Unfortunately, that puts me in a position where I can't drop off the loan papers because I'm working at the school from 8 am - 7 pm everyday. Any suggestions?

No comments: