30 December 2009

Obligatory New Year Post

Not to make it sound so depressing but I can't stand the whole top ten list, countdown of the moments, etc. that plagues the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. I don't like New Year's resolutions. As someone who's spent most of my life on an academic schedule, the new year is usually September, when a school year begins.

But I understand the appeal of New Year's. The feeling that once the clock strikes 12, you can reinvent yourself. Change the way you act and become that better version of yourself you envision. It's tempting.

There are some things I am looking forward to in 2010. I want to treat myself better. I hope to find clarity. I really want to save more. But I realize that setting up unrealistic goals will just make me feel like a failure if I don't reach them. And I don't think setting a goal on New Year's is the best time anyway since you're still coming down off that holiday high. I can tell you one goal that I hope to achieve. Ringing in the New Year with friends, a cute outfit and wearing my green wig. Totally attainable.

No comments: