26 December 2009

I ♥ New York (But I Hate Spending Money)

I am a huge fan of the Shopaholic novels. I completely agree with Rebecca Bloomwood when she talks about the feeling you get "when your fingers first grasp those shiny, new bags"; I can totally relate. But unlike Becky Bloomwood, I do not have lovely parents to bail me out or a financier for a boyfriend.

So it's hard to come to NY. First off, there's all these fab shops that you cannot find on the West Coast (TopShop and Uniqlo). Secondly, there's no tax on clothes (thank Jesus). And third, it's Christmastime which means sales galore. Then you add in the discoveries. I went to Bloomingdale's and found a great line from the UK, All-Saints Spitalfields, which has a little outpost in the department store and is filled with these intricately detailed dresses and tops. Plus, if you order online they have free shipping to the US!

Alas, I am on a budget (and a weight limit on the plane) and it's incredibly frustrating. So I'm trying to stick to the basics. Things I need (work appropriate pants and shoes) with one or two things for myself to make me happy (silver peeptoes from TopShop). To be honest, given what I've spent, I've made out like a bandit with the amount of things I've purchased but it's hard to look at some things and know they're still out of my grasp. If I can make it through February hopefully I'll get to do some shopping when I come to the East Coast again in May.

No comments: