21 August 2009

100 Issues for 100 Days: #4


#4 Lighten Up ...*

... It's just FASHION! In honor of Project Runway's return to the airwaves, I thought I'd talk about personal style. Lately, I've been working my way through the latest issue of Marie Claire. I say, "working my way" because it's surprisingly dense. I've never read an issue of the magazine before so I was surprised by the depth and breadth of the articles. And as I'm nearing the end of the issue, I'm find myself caught up in the fashion spreads and inspired by their cover girl, Ashley Olsen.

I'll admit, I've always been a fan of the Olsen twins. I grew up on Full House and although I was more of a "Stephanie" or a "DJ", I always had a special place in my heart for Michelle Tanner and I'd hunker down on a Sunday and watch many an Olsen twin flick on ABCFamily. But I've never seen either girl as a fashion icon, until now.

Although both of their lines Elizabeth and James and The Row are very high-end (read: More than I'll ever be able to afford unless that sugar daddy thing comes through *fingers crossed*), what struck me was Ashley's philosophy on style. she admitted readily to cutting up dresses or jackets worth thousands to create the right fit. And she holds on to every piece of clothing she's ever owned. And at the end of the day she wears what feels right to her. You have to admire that.

One thing that I'm really striving for this fall is to take more risks with my weekend fashion. Given my job it's a little hard to be too avant garde during the week but I'd like to try more out. Finding new ways to wear my clothes (I have enough) and focusing on buying new things that I need and not things that are trendy. I may never have the closet that Ashley Olsen has but I can adopt some of her quirks. And we all need to lighten up ... it's just fashion.


*I know this was a bit late but I got home and crashed after work. I'll update again later in the day.

No comments: